Serious About Seafood Sustainability
Lusamerica Fish is committed to environmentally responsible business practices and to helping our customers meet their corporate responsibility goals by offering a broad range of sustainable seafood products.
We participate in a number of recognized national and international programs to further our commitment to sustainability. We are certified for a wide variety of seafood by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), which operates the most rigorous and widely recognized certification program in the world for sustainability and environmental responsibility in wild-capture fisheries.
For aquaculture products, we purchase from Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) certified producers and industry leaders in sustainability as aquaculture certification standards are established.
Lusamerica’s Other Sustainability Efforts
- Discontinuing the sale of unsustainable species and non-MSC-certified Chilean seabass.
- Promoting fisheries that use more environmentally sensitive harvest methods.
- Working with our suppliers to ensure work conditions and compensation practices are fair, safe and economically sustainable for fishers and workers.
- Participating in projects to improve practices in fisheries at the ground level, including working closely with World Wildlife Fund on Ecuadorian mahi-mahi and Indonesian tuna.
- Providing reduced carbon footprint choices. We offer premium frozen and previously frozen products that have been processed and frozen as close as possible to the point of harvest. The frozen seafood can then be transported by container vessels, rail and truck, all of which produce less carbon emissions than air shipments of fresh fish. In addition, the highest quality fish from many remote fisheries is often a previously frozen item.
- For information on other ways we are protecting the environment in our business, click here.